There are a number of reasons why we may collect and use your data. We have outlined each of these circumstances below:
Legitimate interest following a request for a quote
We have a legitimate interest to use your data:
- Where you have submitted your information for a new quote either online, at an event or by phone, we will contact you by telephone, email and/or post to discuss the quote within 30 days of receiving the request
Consent to marketing and/or newsletters
We will only contact you where you have consented for us to do so for:
- CS Healthcare's (Care) newsletters by email or post
- CS Healthcare's newsletters by email or post
- CS Healthcare marketing, including offers, products and services
- Marketing from selected third parties about products and services you may be interested in
You can unsubscribe from any of the above at any time by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email or by contacting us on the details under the keeping you informed section. We will only contact you on the contact preferences you have selected.
Contractual basis for the Administration of your policy
Where you have entered in to a contractual agreement:
- We contact you by telephone, email and/or post to administer your policy, including providing policy information, information about any member offers/benefits you may be entitled to and in the event of any claim
In order to administer your policy, we will require confidential and medical information. This information will be treated with the strictest of confidence and your confidential medical information will only be disclosed to those involved with your treatment or care, or in accordance with UK law and guidelines from professional bodies, or for the purposes of clinical audit (unless you object)
Keeping your data secure
We are committed to keeping your personal information secure. We have put in place physical, electronic and operational procedures intended to safeguard and secure the information we collect. All CS Healthcare staff have a legal duty to respect the confidentiality of your information, and access to your confidential information is restricted only to those who have a reasonable need to access it.
When using CS Healthcare's website, if the URL of a web page starts with HTTPS, or you see a locked/green padlock symbol, your data will be encrypted when it is sent from your computer to our server. However, we cannot ensure the security of your data when it is being transmitted to our website or other digital sites from other pages. All transmission of personal information and other data is done at your own risk.
Collecting your data
Data about you is collected when:
- You apply for a quote or policy either online, by phone, via the post, an event or through a broker
- Health checks (anonymised data for research purposes)
- You enter into a contract with CS Healthcare for the provision of private medical insurance and when you use those services
- You submit a query to us, for example by email, telephone or social media
- You consent to marketing from CS Healthcare. We may also collect personal data about you from a policy holder when you are named on an application form and where the policy holder has confirmed they are acting on your behalf
- We process an application or claim (where we may carry out fraud checks), or when we obtain medical reports from health professionals/providers
- In accordance with the Access to Medical Records Act, when you have agreed for us to access your medical information from your treating consultant or provider
- You are not in a position to offer the information yourself but would like to make use of the policy's services e.g. if you have been admitted to hospital under the NHS and would like someone to discuss a possible transfer to a private hospital on your behalf (CS Healthcare will look to verify the request by subsequently contacting the associated providers and health professionals)
- Where you have opted in to CS Healthcare's services via your employer or its broker
Data we may hold about you
The data we hold about you may include the following:
- Contact information such as name, address, email
- Broker referral and quote information
- Medical information such as claims experience/history and related information
- Information about complaints, incidents and feedback regarding CS Healthcare and providers associated with your treatment
- Notes and reports about your health and any treatment and care you have received or need, including clinic and hospital visits and medicines administered
- Information from customer surveys, competitions and marketing activities
- Recordings of calls we receive or make
- Other information we receive from other sources, including cookies, IP addresses and social media posts
Processing your data
We may process your data to provide you with our services, and to improve and extend our services. By processing we mean CS Healthcare remains the controller on the data, this may include:
- Responding to your queries, including providing quotes
- Communicating with consultants and providers
- Internal record keeping and administration
- Responding to requests where we have a legal or regulatory obligation to do so
- Checking the accuracy of information about you, and the quality of your treatment or care, including auditing medical and billing information for insurance claims
- Assessing the type and quality of care you have received and any concerns or complaints you raise, so that these can be properly investigated
- Using your contact information to send you service related information
- Where your consent has been given, we may use your contact information to send promotional material about new products, special offers or other information we think you may find interesting (see â€˜Keeping you informed' below for more information)
- Using your contact information to give you an opportunity to complete a customer satisfaction survey
- Using your information for the purpose of market research
- Outsourcers/suppliers CS Healthcare uses for the administration of your policy (further information available upon request)
- Using data in an anonymous format with companies we work with, such as, auditors and actuaries for data security, analysis and business purposes
Information about you may be shared by CS Healthcare, by sharing we mean providing a copy of information for another party to use for their own purposes.
We do not share your personal information with anyone outside of CS Healthcare, except:
- When you have requested for us to do so
- When we are permitted or obliged to do so by law. For example, if we are required to provide information to organisations such as the National Registries (e.g. The Cancer Registry) and the government regarding certain infectious diseases such as tuberculosis and meningitis (but not HIV/Aids)
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of CS Healthcare, our customers, or others
- In order to detect, prevent and help with the prosecution of financial crime. For example, we may share information with fraud prevention or law enforcement agencies, and other organisations. If we suspect fraudulent activity, we may inform the person or organisation who administers or funds your CS Healthcare services
- If there are other exceptional circumstances, and we are unable or it is not appropriate to seek your permission
In rare circumstances, the processing and sharing of your personal information may take place outside of the European Economic Area in countries with different data protection laws. In that case we ensure that the confidentiality and security of your personal information is protected the same way as EU law.
In the event that we (or any member(s) of our group) sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose your anonymised personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. However, if there is a requirement to provide non-anonymised data we will seek your consent beforehand.
Right to be informed - You have the right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data which we will undertake following a request. We will also ensure you are notified prior to the collection of any personal data from other sources
Right of access - You are entitled to request a copy of the information we hold about you. In most cases we will aim to provide information without the need for a formal request to be made. However, if you require all of your information or a significant amount this may take up to 30 days and in some circumstances longer but only where the request is highly complex to fulfil.
Right to data portability - You have the right to receive your information (under right of access) in a clear and understandable manner and in an electronic format.
Right to be forgotten - You have the right to request for CS Healthcare to remove all information about you. However, such a request can only be considered where you are no longer a member of the Society, as will be unable to administer your policy. We do reserve the right to refuse a request but we will clearly explain our legal basis to retain the information if it is necessary for us to do so.
Right to erasure - You have the right to request for CS Healthcare to remove all information about you. However, such a request can only be considered where you are no longer a member of the Society, as we will be unable to administer your policy. We do reserve the right to refuse a request but we will clearly explain our legal basis to retain the information if it is necessary for us to do so.
Right to rectification - Please write to the Data Protection Officer. All such requests may take up to 30 days and where the request is highly complex this may be extended further by up to 60 days.
Right to restrict processing - You have the right to request that CS Healthcare restrict the processing of your data, e.g. if you no longer wish to receive marketing you can change your marketing preferences. However, some data restrictions may impact our ability to offer our services.
Right to object - You have the right to request that CS Healthcare cease to process your data in a certain way. If you feel that CS Healthcare is processing your information in a way which you do not consider appropriate you can ask us to stop. However, such a request may impact our ability to offer our services.
Right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling - CS Healthcare does not currently use any data for automated decision making and profiling, however, in the event that the Society adopts this method we will ensure it is highlighted and your consent is sought beforehand.
Keeping you informed - If you wish to change your marketing preferences regarding receiving information about our products and services, please use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any marketing email or contact CS Healthcare on the details shown below.
If you have any queries about your data that remain unanswered please contact the CS Healthcare's data protection officer:
- Data Protection Officer, CS Healthcare, Princess House, Horace Road, Kingston-Upon-Thames, KT1 2SL
Information Commission Office
If you do not feel that CS Healthcare has adequately addressed yours concerns following your referral to our Data Protection Officer, you can seek further guidance and information from the Information Commissioners Office:
Information Commissioner's Office
You have the right to lodge a formal complaint about any of our products or services, including how we use your personal data; you can make a complaint by any of the following methods:
- 020 8410 0400 †
- Membership, CS Healthcare, Princess House, Horace Road, Kingston-Upon-Thames, KT1 2SL
Refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service:
Company Details and Regulation
Civil Service Healthcare Society Limited is a Registered Friendly Society, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, with Registration number: 205346. CS Healthcare uses and protects your personal information and data. Our Registered Office is Princess House, Horace Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 2SL.
Our permitted business is to provide private health insurance contracts and you can check this on the FCA's Register by visiting the FCA's website at http://www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768. Please note that any reference to "CS Healthcare" within the pages of this site shall be taken to mean Civil Service Healthcare Society Limited unless otherwise indicated.
GP24 Advice Line
At CS Healthcare, we are always looking at ways to improve the products and services we offer to our members. We understand that accessing GP services quickly and at a time convenient for you can be challenging. This is why we are pleased to announce we are improving the advice line service that is available to all our members.
CS Healthcare is pleased to announce an exciting change to its eligibility criteria.
Historically, all new members were considered eligible to join CS Healthcare based on their chosen profession. You had to work in the public sector or be a civil servant to become a member. As of August 2019, this eligibility criteria no longer applies. Now everyone can experience award-winning customer service.
CS Healthcare has been providing private healthcare for 90 years and during that time, we’ve discovered there are some medical phrases and terms that cause confusion. Our Jargon Buster is designed to simplify any complicated terms that you may not be familiar with. Make sure you refer back to it any time you're feeling unsure about a word or meaning as you are browsing the site.
Confused? Take a look at our Jargon Buster
Our Jargon Buster is designed to simplify any complicated terms that you may not be familiar with. Make sure you refer back to it any time you're feeling unsure about a word or meaning as you're browsing the site.