The your choice health plan offers members the opportunity to tailor their cover when it comes to private diagnosis, treatment and surgery. It gives you the flexibility to add additional options to your policy, including comprehensive diagnostics and cover for heart and cancer conditions.
We understand the importance of health, that's why we're committed to delivering healthcare plans which are tailored to you and your family to provide you with peace of mind when you need it most.
With your choice you can adapt the plan to match your needs and choose where to receive private treatment. With our network of over 300 hospitals in the UK you can avoid potential waiting times on the NHS and get fast access to the treatment and diagnosis you need at a hospital that suits you.
Great value health cover
When you take out a your choice plan there is one level of cover that is compulsory and this is known as the Essential option. It acts as the foundation of your plan and covers surgery, specialised scans and hospital accommodation.
If you are admitted to hospital for either in-patient or day patient treatment, you will be covered for:
- Hospital accommodation and nursing costs
- Surgery, operating theatre and non-emergency intensive care costs
- Consultant /specialist fees
- Surgeon and anaesthetist fees
- Diagnostic scans
If you need treatment or tests as an out-patient, you will also receive cover for:
- Diagnostic scans
- Pre-operative tests
- Post-operative consultations, investigations, tests and dressings
- Surgeon and anaesthetist fees
- Physiotherapy after an operation
Under the Essential plan you will also be entitled to a range of additional benefits, such as:
- Private road ambulance – we will pay up to £250 per person per policy year if you have to travel by private ambulance to receive treatment
- Convalescing and Nursing at Home benefit – subject to approval we will pay all nursing charges up to a maximum of 14 days and £2,800 each admission
- NHS cash allowance – if you choose to have treatment on the NHS rather than going privately, you could receive a cash benefit, which you can put towards any costs you may have incurred. This amounts to £150 per day/night up to 28 days/nights
- Parent accommodation – if you need to stay with an insured child aged 16 and under who is hospitalised then either you and/or your spouse will be covered for accommodation, provided you are also insured under the plan
- Discretionary Your Care Package – if you have treatment on the NHS then we may also agree to help support you with any additional costs that occur as a result of your illness or injury following treatment. The money could be put towards taxi journeys or hiring pet sitters for example
Discover more about the Essentials schedule of benefits
Fast access to initial consultations
This is the ideal option if you’re looking for added peace of mind. With Expert Diagnostics you will be covered for more extensive tests to help investigate an illness or injury. This includes blood tests, ECG, EEG, ultrasound scans, X-rays and other tests which can be arranged quickly at a hospital that is convenient to you.
You will also be covered for treatment-room procedures, wound care and therapeutic injections designed to reduce pain relief or other symptoms.
You can choose from three different levels of cover to suit your particular needs:
- Expert Diagnostics Comprehensive: just as the name implies this is the most comprehensive option. There is a policy limit for psychiatric consultations and counselling of up to £1,000 per person per policy year but while no other upper limits apply, any costs incurred must be necessary and within a fair and reasonable price
- Expert Diagnostics 1000: All investigations, tests and procedures are limited to £1,000 per person per policy year and psychiatric cover is not included. This option gives you approximately 30% discount compared to Expert Diagnostics Comprehensive
- Expert Diagnostics 500: If you are looking to reduce the cost of your premiums while still retaining many of the same benefits, then Expert Diagnostics 500 may provide the ideal compromise. With this level of cover you will receive approximately 50% discount compared to Expert Diagnostics Comprehensive. Cover is limited to a £500 limit for diagnostic treatment per person per policy year and psychiatric cover is also excluded
Discover more about the schedule of benefits for the Expert Diagnostics option.
Therapy & Care
Traditional, complementary and alternative health therapies
After receiving surgery or treatment, your aftercare is equally as important. To help make sure you recover as quickly as possible, we offer a Therapy & Care option, which covers you for a range of manipulative, complementary and alternative therapies with a registered therapist.
We have been helping our members get back on their feet for over 85 years and we know that being able to access treatment from a physio or sports therapist can help relieve pain and restore you back to good health.
With this option,we will pre-authorise two sessions should you need any of the following therapies*:
- Chiropractic treatment
- Sports therapy
* This must be pre-authorised on either referral from your General Practitioner or under supervision from a Specialist/Consultant. Should you need further treatment we will expect to receive a treatment plan.
You will also be entitled to a range of other recovery benefits including:
- Chiropody and Podiatry - up to £400 per person per policy year
- Speech therapy
- Appliances/aids following an in-patient admission - up to £400 per person per policy year
- Home help - up to £700 each admission
Discover more about the schedule of benefits for the Therapy & Care option
Heart & Cancer
Receive specialist treatment for acute heart or cancer conditions
These are two of the most complex conditions to treat but with this option you can be safe in the knowledge that should you or your dependant need cardiac surgery or cancer treatment, you will receive the medical attention you need quickly in the safety and privacy of a private hospital.
Our cover includes:
- Surgical admission: heart (cardiac) surgery including implanted prosthesis, endoscopies and valves and related hospital charges
- Non-surgical admission: heart (cardiac) medical care including related hospital charges
- Nursing at home or convalescence benefit - up to 14 days per admission
- Heart (cardiac) necessary aftercare; including diagnostics, specialist scans and investigations, physiotherapy/rehabilitation and supportive care including care of registered dietician within 1 year of admission
- Cancer-related surgery, including implanted prosthesis, endoscopies and hospital charges
- Cancer treatment and medical admissions; including radiotherapy and chemotherapy, related treatment, care of secondary (metastatic spread) and palliative care
- Necessary aftercare per cancer condition, including consultations, diagnostics, specialist scans and investigations and physiotherapy for 5 years following diagnosis
- Counselling for cancer, dietary advice and complementary therapy
With this option you can also pick between two levels of cover to suit your needs and budget:
- Heart and Cancer Comprehensive
- Heart and Cancer Limited: this is where cover is limited to £50,000 for each Heart condition and an additional £50,000 for each Cancer condition per person for the lifetime of the policy
Discover more about the schedule of benefits for the Heart & Cancer option.
Health plan for dental cover, optical cover and health screenings
Those six monthly trips to the dentist and bi-annual visits to see the optician can quickly mount up – especially when you have to pay for the whole family. Why not take advantage of our Cash Benefits option and alleviate these everyday healthcare expenses? You will receive cash back towards routine treatments such as dental check-ups, hygienist appointments and health screenings, up to the agreed limits, enabling you and your family to maintain your health and wellbeing without the financial burden.
Simply choose the level of cover which suits you best and you will receive the following benefits:
|Cash Benefits||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4|
|Dental Cover||£50 per benefit per person per policy year||£100 per benefit per person per policy year||£150 per benefit per person per policy year||£200 per benefit per person per policy year|
Discover more about the schedule of benefits for the Cash Benefits option.
Choosing a hospital
Choose from our growing network of specially selected private and independent hospitals
One of the many benefits of a your choice policy is knowing you have access to over 300 private hospitals across the UK. We have been protecting the health and wellbeing of our members for over 85 years and during that time we’ve built up partnerships with both private and independent hospitals as well as a network of carefully selected NHS hospitals offering dedicated Private Patient Units (PPUs) or private services. You can also choose to use any NHS hospital with PPU facilities.
Use the Find a Hospital facility to view your nearest hospitals.
How to reduce your insurance premiums
Voluntary excess and co-payment options
With a your choice policy you have a number of options when it comes to reducing your health insurance premiums. You can either choose a voluntary excess or co-payment option. With a co-payment you will share the cost of treatment with CS Healthcare by paying 15% of each claim, per person per policy year. However you will only pay a maximum of £1,000 or £3,000 per person per policy year.
Alternatively you can select a voluntary excess, and by agreeing to pay a set figure towards the cost of your treatment per person per policy year, you will receive a discount on your premium. The bigger the excess, the bigger the discount.
Due to some excess options being the same or exceeding the benefit limit some excess options are not available in conjunction with limited benefit cover options. For example:
Expert Diagnostics 500
The following excesses are not available with this cover option:
Expert Diagnostics 1000
The following excesses are not available with this cover option:
Full details of how an excess and co-payment work can be found in the Policy document.
How we assess your health
Choosing an underwriting method to suit you
The terms of your cover are very much dependent on whether you choose Full Medical Underwriting (FMU) or Moratorium Underwriting. If you choose FMU, you will be required to provide detailed answers about the health of you and your family so that we can determine whether you have any pre-existing conditions that should be excluded from your cover. This helps to speed up the process at the point of claim and we can usually authorise any treatment over the phone.
We can sometimes review a personal exclusion after two full years of membership or sooner as specified in your Registration Certificate. Find out more in our Help section.
The second option is Moratorium Underwriting, where you are only required to provide basic information about you and your dependants you wish to insure. However in order for us to be able to establish whether the condition is new and not pre-existing and before we can authorise treatment, your GP will need to submit a copy of the referral letter.
Switch to CS Healthcare
Even if you already have a health policy with another insurer, you might still qualify for CS Healthcare switch terms. We try to make the process as simple as possible to ensure if you do switch your cover it is clear whether any ongoing treatment or pre-existing medical conditions will be excluded.
What’s not covered?
your choice policy exclusions
CS Healthcare will not cover you for pre-existing medical conditions or chronic conditions which are unlikely to be cured by treatment. This is standard across most health insurers. The policy will also not normally cover conditions which are related to pre-existing conditions and this is defined as a condition which is caused by, or could be the cause of, another condition.
As an exception, we will provide cover for the initial diagnosis of a chronic condition, or if you suffer from an acute episode of a chronic condition where surgical intervention and aftercare is necessary. A more detailed explanation of how we approach treatment for chronic conditions and acute episodes can be found in the ‘Long-term treatment/Chronic Conditions’ section of the Policy Document.
There are some general exclusions which will apply to your policy and you will find full details of these in the ‘General Policy Exclusions’ section of the Policy Document.
In addition, there are some specific treatment exclusions which will apply to particular options. You will find full details of these exclusions in the ‘Specific Treatment Exclusions and Advice’ section of the Policy Document.
As a policyholder the main exclusions you should be aware of are as follows:
- Treatment outside the UK
- Organ transplants
- Routine monitoring of any medical condition
- Surgical correction of short or long-sightedness
- Hearing aids and other external prosthesis
- Accident & Emergency treatment (including unplanned NHS Intensive Care)
- Treatment for infertility
- Treatment for drug abuse, alcoholism or self-inflicted injury
- Cosmetic surgery
- HIV, AIDS and psychiatric treatment
- Routine pregnancy or childbirth
- Conditions arising from Professional sports
GP24 Advice Line
At CS Healthcare, we are always looking at ways to improve the products and services we offer to our members. We understand that accessing GP services quickly and at a time convenient for you can be challenging. This is why we are pleased to announce we are improving the advice line service that is available to all our members.
CS Healthcare has been providing private healthcare for 90 years and during that time, we’ve discovered there are some medical phrases and terms that cause confusion. Our Jargon Buster is designed to simplify any complicated terms that you may not be familiar with. Make sure you refer back to it any time you're feeling unsure about a word or meaning as you are browsing the site.
Confused? Take a look at our Jargon Buster
Our Jargon Buster is designed to simplify any complicated terms that you may not be familiar with. Make sure you refer back to it any time you're feeling unsure about a word or meaning as you're browsing the site.